WELCOME TO TECHNOLOGY APPLICATIONS
AT LOMAX JUNIOR HIGH!
Course Description: Technology Applications guides students in developing independent projects using National and State technology standards. This course is designed to develop a foundation for students who are interested in preparing for high school, college, and career technologies. Students and Parents need to be aware that the Tech Apps curriculum does not extend to smart phone uses, social media websites, computer gaming, or computer repair.
- Students understand human and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior.
- Students use digital media to communicate and support learning
- Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
- Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations.
- Students use critical thinking to research, manage projects, and use appropriate digital tools.
- Students are digital citizens who are both safe and ethical when interacting with the online world.
- Students evaluate the validity of information from the internet and present it in a variety of formats.
- Students use a wide variety of software and online tools to create and present digital products.
- Students use technology vocabulary; understand computing systems, and the history of computing.
- Students synthesize technology components and manage activities to successfully complete projects.
Course Expectations and Evaluations:
In technology applications, we use a project based approach to learning. In exploring the components of a project, every effort is made to support the students’ core curriculum areas. Students are expected to complete online textbook assignments, video tutorials, and research activities when assigned. Each of these smaller components will be used as Daily Grades with the realization that understanding these pieces are essential for completion of the culminating project which will be used as a Major Grade. All classes at Lomax Junior High support literacy with at least one writing assignment each grading period considered a Reading/Writing grade.
Daily Grades = 45% of average Major Grades = 50% of average Reading/Writing Assignments = 5% of average
LPISD Hardware and Software provided for Tech Apps: PC’s with Windows 7 OS and its standard applications. We use the Internet Explorer browser, Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel), Windows Movie Maker, and Adobe Creative Suite CS6 (Photoshop, Flash Animation, Premiere Pro).